Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Lunch in Bali

Dear Family and Friends,

One of the down sides of taking a cruise is that when the ship comes to a port, it is only there for hours, not days. This means that you can usually do only one or two things. 

In Bali, we did shopping and had lunch. That is about all we had time for. 

Bali, Indonesia is a little pocket of Buddhism in a Muslim country. It is a very popular tourist destination.

We we arrived at the dock, we were greeted by these ladies.  



The guys were seated on the ground playing marimba type instruments.



Here is Chuck standing in front of the port building. Notice the sign behind him greeting us ship passengers. Considering all the shopping people do I imagine they are very happy to see us.


I took this picture of the umbrella because it reminded me of the movie "The King and I."



We grabbed a taxi and went to the outdoor tourist market. It is located right next to the beach.



Since I grew up with northwest Florida white sand beaches, this beach did not impress me that much. 



We were so busy shopping in the market that I forgot to take pictures. I did, however, take a picture of this banner. Good advice from Buddha.


After buying hats and trinkets, we went across the street to an open air restaurant for lunch.



Our adorable waiter.


The food was uniquely presented on on banana leaves in a bamboo tray. The rice even had a banana leaf cone hat. If you look at the picture closely you can see that I goggled up one stick of chicken satay before I remembered to take this picture.



An interesting sculpture inside the restaurant.



And here is a three tiered "King and I" umbrella on the back of an elephant.


After a nice lunch, it was back to the port for us. Here is Chuck turning in our unspent Indonesian money for US dollars. 


I am glad we had the opportunity to experience what we did, even if it was only for a few hours.

In the next post we will begin our stops in Australia.

Love,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.