Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Friday, July 28, 2017

North Sea Cruise - Stavanger, Norway

Dear Family and Friends,

Stavanger is the third largest city in Norway.  Unfortunately, it was a cold, rainy day when we were there.

I got off the ship long enough to go to Starbucks to check my email and catch up with Facebook.

After that I went back to the ship.  I didn't want to risk my improved health.

Here are some pictures of the port I made from the ship deck.





It looks like it would be a nice city to tour in better weather.

One interesting thing we learned is that Norway was occupied by the Nazi's for five years during WWII.  There were about 15,000 soldiers there when the war ended.  They had made 150 mine fields in this area with 480,000 mines.

After the war was over, before repatriation, the Germans were made to stay and clean up the mine fields. Sixty two Germans were killed and ninety four injured while cleaning up the mines.

One other picture.  I took this at 11:40pm as we were sailing along.  Amazing that it stays light so late.  We never experienced darkness this whole trip because anytime it was dark outside, if it ever was, we were fast asleep.



Our next port was Flam.  Beautiful place, lots of pictures to share on my next post.

Love,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Getting POWs to clean up the mess they made is a good idea! Way to go Norway.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome.