Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Craft Market in Medellin

Dear Family and Friends,

During our walking tour of Medellin we went to Park Bolivar.  If you remember, I shared that the park was the hangout for drug addicts.  A lot of selling and using of drugs took place there.

Chuck found in the guide book that there is a market held there every Saturday.  So we went back...me reluctantly.  I was concerned that they would be selling magic brownies and I didn't want to be there and end up getting put in a Colombian jail.

We could not believe the transformation of the park on Saturdays.  I don't know where the druggies hang out on Saturday but it sure isn't here.



This man is taking sugar cane, adding lemons and squeezing it to make juice.  I think he was missing a bet by not adding some run.  This is a traditional Colombian drink.


Of course we had to try it.  It was delicious.  Tasted like lemonade.  Very refreshing.


Chuck found some old pipes that someone was selling.  He really liked them both.  Which one do you think he bought?


I will show you which one he decided on at the end of this post.

He also found some hats and wanted to buy a traditional style Colombian hat.  He tried on quite a few and finally settled on just the right one.


Here he is paying for his hat.


There were many beautiful, colorful items for sale.  Colombia is filled with color.  Check out these woven purses.


They even had ear rings that matched Chuck's hat.  He wanted to buy them for me but I declined.  I told him he should wear them to coordinate his outfit.


Isn't this vendor adorable.  I love his hair and hat.



Well here we are at the end of the post.  Chuck is smoking his new pipe.  I call it the Hobbit pipe.  He said it is amazingly good.  The long stem helps to cool the smoke.


Tomorrow I will tell you about the gondola ride we took here in Medellin.

Love,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.