Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Split, Croatia

Dear Family and Friends,

We went from Dubrovnik to Split, the second largest city in Croatia.  Our time there was limited to a walking tour of the old town.

Before I share pictures of our walking tour, I must say that I feel somewhat out of sync with so many who are fans of Game of Thrones.  It turned out that the old town of Split is also a place where it is filmed.

In both Dubrovnik and Split, there were whole shops dedicated to memorabilia and souvenirs of that show.  

I found it fascinating that it was so popular and I was completely out of the loop.  This is a character just inside one of the shops.  


Here is an advertisement encouraging people to come sit on an iron throne and have their picture taken. 


Whoa!!  There it is....an iron throne.   


Okay, enough of that.

The Old Town of Split is a historic inner city that has a strong Roman influence, built about the 4th century AD.  Most of the town is inside the Palace of Diocletian.  It was Built for Emperor Diocletian.  Below is the courtyard of the main entrance.




Below is a statue of bishop Gregory of Nin.  He looks more like a character from Harry Potter to me.


People still live in this old town.  I think it would be fun to live there.  


Look at the beautiful view you would have as you left the city.  Yep, right on the waterfront.


These are the restaurants and coffee shops that line the beautiful walkway along the sea front.  


Next post is about Zagreb, Croatia's largest city.  

Love,
Nancy


2 comments:

  1. Another fascinating trip. Anything along the Mediterranean coast looks great to me. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome.