Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Trujillo, Peru - Morning Surprise, Basilica Cathedral and a Beach Visit.

Dear Family and Friends,

This is our hotel in Trujillo.  Unfortunately it is not near the city center so we have to have a taxi to take us to town.  It does have a nice pool, but in my opinion it is too cold to use.  



We slept sound our first night in Trujillo.  After waking and getting dressed we headed to the restaurant for our breakfast.  As soon as we were outside, we saw these two characters munching on the shrubbery.



I am pretty sure the beige one is an alpaca, the white one a young llama.

Isn't this the cutest thing you ever saw?


I put my arms out and smiled at him.  He came right over to me.  What a thrill.  Such a sweetheart.


Unfortunately I was not able to pet him and take a selfie at the same time.  Chuck could not get his cell phone camera to work before the magic encounter was over.  Such a special moment for me.

After breakfast we took a taxi to the central square called Plaza de Armas.  All central plazas in Peru are called this.  


We toured the Basilica Cathedral of Saint Mary, which is located right across the street from the plaza.


This painting is just inside the door.



The sanctuary.  Notice the ceiling.


Here is the ceiling over my head.  Notice the bright colors, unlike any I have ever seen before in a cathedral.  I am not sure when they were painted, but they a bright and beautiful.  It looks like they were painted just yesterday.


This is the view from inside the cathedral looking out the main doors to the plaza across the street.


After touring the cathedral, we decided to take a taxi to the nearby beach.  For a southern girl who's idea of a beach is the gulf coast of Florida with white sand and beautiful water, this beach left me underwhelmed. 



The sky was very overcast, not unusual for this part of Peru.  The sand was brown and the ocean looked grey.  The water was high and the waves large.  There were a few folks out surfing.  

Chuck is on the boardwalk area. 


Here he is beside a reed fishing boat.  I will discuss more about them when we get to Chicalyo. 


A small place to have refreshments on the beach.


and of course souvenir stalls.


The day was so blustery and cold that there were no tourists at the beach.  Well, except a couple of old farts who happened to show up.  In Peru, the seasons are the exact opposite of North America.  Peru is in fall, heading into winter.  

What will we do tomorrow?

Whatever it is, I will share it with you.

Love,

Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Again thank you for letting us go with you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the altitude ever bother you guys??? You go to a lot of high places so probably not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we live at 8,000 ft most of the time we are adapted to a pretty high elevation. Even though we are getting along in years our stamina at altitude is pretty good. Back over 30 years ago on our first trip to Peru we went to Cusco. I could hardly hold my head up because of the altitude which is about 10,000 ft. Today it would not be difficult, just maybe a minor headache because I am pretty much adjusted.

      Delete

Comments are welcome.