Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Monday, May 2, 2022

Big Market in Chiclayo, Peru

Dear Family and Friends,

A few days ago I posted about the USA branded stores that I was surprised to see at a mall in Chiclayo, Peru.  

Today, I am taking you to the big market.  It has everything the mall had, but is not fancy in any way.  Actually, these types of markets are more fun for us to see because they are so alien to the shopping we see in the USA.

Here goes:

This lady is shopping for a strong woven plastic bag.  We have seen these type bags used all over the world.  They are strong and quite durable.



This guy is selling cute aprons for children.


There were a lot more people shopping at this market than the fancy mall.


This stall seems to specialize in pet food and products.



Below are some gourds.  There are even bowls made out of the bottom of giant gourds.  When we were at the museum, our guide showed us some bowls just like these that the ancients made.  


These are sticks of cinnamon.


This stall is chocked full of kitchen products.  



This lady is doing mending and hemming, etc.  



Cute little bunnies.


and parakeets.


When we got to the meat and fish area the flies were everywhere.  The sales people were some what successful in waving rags in the air to keep the flies from landing.  

For us brave folks there is the meat.



the chickens (these remind me of rubber chickens).


and fish.


This reminds of that song....Baby Shark


The only place the salesperson did not have to fight off the flies was the lady selling dried fish.  Oh gawd, it smelled so bad that even the flies wouldn't come near.


Guess who decided he wanted to buy some to snack on.  


They even had a "witches corner" out back.  It is where all the exotic herbs and maybe even voodoo dolls are sold.


These are just a few pictures I took in the market.  I hope you enjoyed them.

Tomorrow I will post about the bus ride back to Trujillo that I promised.

Love,
Nancy



2 comments:

  1. I loved see the market today.You will have to share with us the things you purchased

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am glad you enjoyed the market tour. I did not buy anything but regret that I did not buy a bowl made out of a gourd. Chuck bought some stinky dried fish, I will not try it. I think it will end up in the garbage.

      Delete

Comments are welcome.