Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Saturday, July 9, 2022

A walk along the Rhine in Dusseldorf

Dear Family and Friends,

Chuck and I slept in a bit this morning.  We were going to take the Hop On - Hop Off tour bus.  First on the agenda of course was to find a good espresso.  

After getting fueled up we started to walk.  From the map we knew the general direction of where to go to get tickets for the bus.  We started walking toward that section of town.  

The sign on this church said Johannes Evangelical State Church in German.  


Maybe that is what it said because directly across the street was the court.


We never found where to get the Hop On - Hop Off Bus.  It didn't matter we were enjoying walking.  Everything was beautiful and we happened upon a botanical walk.





After this lovely walk, we decided to try and find some lunch since we had only had coffee and no breakfast.

We found a German beer house that also served lunch.  Chuck had veal sausage and sauerkraut.


I went with the veiner schnitzel again.  This time it came with a cranberry sauce to go with it.


I cannot say the meal was outstanding, but it served it's purpose.  We did not leave hungry. After lunch we kept walking and shortly there we were.  On the river walk next to the Rhine river.

Here is a barge carrying autos to ????   Besides hauling tourists up and down this river, it is used as a shipping river with barges carrying goods back and forth.


Along the river was lined with bars and restaurants.  Since today was Saturday, the crowds were out.  I could not believe how many people were in this area.  We certainly happened upon the place to be.



Yours truly completely amazed at the crowds of people.  


And like children all over the world, they are easily entertained with bubbles.


Noe I will share the Nancy Watson version...I do not think Dusseldorf is one of the tier one tourist destinations for U.S. tourists, like us because it was over 90% completely destroyed in the war.  Unlike a lot of German cities that still have centuries old cathedrals, Dusseldorf has been totally rebuilt since the war.  

I am so glad we went, it is a lovely diverse city and is definitely visited by German and European tourists.  Those tourists had to come from somewhere.

Mainly, I have just shown you pictures I took of our day out.  I just shared things as I saw them.  With no tour guide you are getting the Nancy Watson version of things.  

Tomorrow we will take the train to the Amsterdam airport and spend the night in a close by hotel.  We leave early Monday morning for Dublin.  That is where I pick you all up again.  

For the next couple of days we will be traveling by train and plane.  

See you in a few days.

Love,

Nancy


1 comment:

Comments are welcome.