Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Thursday, December 1, 2022

Monte Alban

 Dear Family and Friends,

A must see archeological sight, if you are visiting Oaxaca, is Monte Alban.  

Of all the pyramids in Mexico, the pyramid complex at Monte Alban is unique in the sense that it is the only pyramid of Mexico that is located on a high plateau, over 1,000 ft above the valley.

The Zapotecs founded Monte Alban in the year 500 BC.  They were among the first civilizations to include the popular Mesoamerican ball game where two teams use their hips and elbows to hit a small ball and try to make it pass through small hoops.  The losing team was sacrificed to please the gods.  YIKES!

This is a diagram of what the site looks like from above.


We had some climbing to do, but luckily Chuck and I live our lives these days at over 8,500 ft., we were able to keep up with little difficulty.


As we got to the top of the plateau we could see some archaeologists working.


In this picture, you can see the valley below.  We came to the sight on our bus, but we did have to hike a ways to get up to the sight.


Ian, our tour guide said for the view of your life just climb up these stairs.  


I truly wanted to see the view, but DANG, my legs would not lift high enough to make the steps.  
Ian helped me make each step so that I could reach the top.  Chuck took this picture from above.


Well, I have to admit, it was well worth the climb.  



By the way, I had to skip down the stairs on my butt.  You do what you have to do to stay safe.

Love you,

Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Footnote...not all PreColombian ball games ended with the winning Captain being sacrificed. That only occurred during special ceremonial games. Also it was considered a great honor as it raised the Leader to deity status.
    There were other regular games attended by the populace where if the team scored a goal the crowd we take off running and if the player who scored the goal caught someone they had to forfeit their entire posessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so wonderful ! What an incredible place . I sit here with my cup of tea enjoying it all .Thankyou so much for sharing .

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome.