Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Going Home - Columbus, Georgia

After leaving Dallas, Chuck and I flew to Atlanta, rented a car and drove to Columbus for a couple of days. The most important part about visiting home is visiting family. Just as Columbus has changed from my childhood days, so has my family. This post will focus on the city of Columbus, my next post will be about our family gathering.

I am sharing pictures of Columbus as it is today. Some of the pictures are of places that did not exist when I was a child, but are an important part of Columbus now. Some are places I was familiar with growing up.

This is the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts. It is located in downtown Columbus. A beautiful building and a source of pride for the city.


First Presbyterian Church also located downtown. The most beautiful church in Columbus.


On lower Broadway, the old homes have been, or are in the process of being, restored to their original grandeur.


Lower Broadway still has brick streets.


Columbus has built a lovely river walk along the Chattahoochee river.



When I was young, a tornado came through town and took the lady of justice off the top of the court house. I don't know if she was ever found. This is the new court house that replaces the one I knew.


Since Sherman did not come to Columbus during his march through Georgia during the Civil war, many antebellum homes still exist. This is the one I remember most from my childhood. St. Elmo.



Here is another type of home that you can find in Columbus. It is called a "shot gun" house. This house is one room wide and three rooms deep. Living room, kitchen and bedroom. They are built on brick pillars to keep the termites from eating the wood.


This is the house Aunt Opal and Uncle Bill lived in. It now belongs to their son, my cousin, Bo Bartlett. Bo is a very famous artist and more than that, he is a beautiful person. Click here to see Bo's website. Although there isn't a historical marker in front of this house yet, I am sure there will be one day.


Columbus has built a beautiful new main library.


And, Columbus is home of the Columbus Stockade. Maybe you have heard the bluegrass song "Columbus Stockade Blues." Well, here it is:



Columbus has many fine restaurants. But I have a couple of favorites:

Evelyn's Cafe - please click here to find out about this great down home cafe.


and Ezell's Catfish Restaurant.

Some of my family still lives in Columbus, but the numbers are small compared to how it used to be. Cities change, people change and families change.

My next post will be about our family get together at Ezell's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.