Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Corpus Christi in Cuenca - Dulces - Candy

Dear Family and Friends,

A continuation of the Corpus Christi events that we are privileged to experience this week.

All around Parque Calderon and all along the side of the cathedral are booths set up to sell sweets. Cookies, candies, pastries, chocolate and most anything you can imagine.

I will share a story I heard. I cannot vouch for it's accuracy but it sure makes a good story: "Many years ago when the Spaniards first came, the Indigenous people were not allowed to attend the church services inside the church. The Indigenous were unhappy about the discrimination. So when it was a period of fasting for the religious Spaniards, the Indigenous people would stand outside the church with sweets to tempt the Spaniards."

Click on the link below to see a video of Chuck showing you a small portion of the candy booths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0meqvqZKHoY

Later I will share the "globos" (mini hot air balloons) being launched from the plaza.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.