Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Corpus Christi in Cuenca - Fireworks Castle

Dear Family and Friends,

One of the most popular activities during Corpus Christi is the lighting of fireworks, especially the fireworks castle. The fireworks castle structure is made out of bamboo poles. The people build the castle in stages and assemble it on the spot. The castles we witnessed had religious artifacts on them, I assume because it is Corpus Christi (a religious holiday).

Here are some pictures I took a couple of years ago for a different celebration. The castle comes in stages. The different stages are then stacked on top of each other and secured.


Here is a picture of the fireworks castle we saw ignited at the other night being assembled. You can see an angel on it.


I took a video of the actual fireworks display. In the beginning of this video you will see a globo going off and then a moment later the fireworks begin. I panned the camera some to show the band playing in the bandstand and some of the crowd. We were standing on the back side of the castle which turned out to be a real good thing. Towards the end of the video you will see fireworks shooting off into the crowd.

I will warn you, this is a seven minute video. I put it on You Tube to make it easier to use in this blog. Depending on the speed of your computer, you may want to click on the link and walk away from you computer awhile and let it download. I videoed the action from beginning to end.

If you want to see the video click on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkNsejo42Fs


This morning Chuck and I are taking a bus to Loja for the weekend. We are having a postponed anniversary celebration since we were both sick last week on our special day. We have never been to Loja and are looking forward to the trip.

I'll share photos with you when we return.

Have a nice weekend.

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.