Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Machala to Salinas

Dear Family and Friends,
Chuck and I left Machala yesterday morning. It rained on us most of the way to Guayaquil. Even so, we had a nice drive. We stopped at a fruit juice stand and we were delighted to find that they had a aviary out back. This first picture was taken looking down the little river. You can see how heavy the moisture laden clouds in the background.



Here are some of the birds and the animal we found out back.









This little animal, I am ashamed to say, I don't know what it is. It is about the size of a small cat. It was cute scampering around on the floor of the aviary. If anyone can enlighten us, we would like to know. FYI - I have received two emails regarding this animal. One from Mike Grimm who suggests it might be a Peccary and one from Jennifer suggests that it is a Paca. I think Jennifer has identified this little guy...you can see if you agree by looking at the Wikipedia site. Thanks you guys.


It was pretty much an all day trip from Machala to Salinas. We did about an hours worth of loopy loops through the streets of Guayaquil before finding the road to the beaches. No, believe it or not, we did not have to pay a tax driver to let us follow him. I can't say what an hour of our time was worth...maybe paying for a taxi driver to show us would have been cheaper in the long run.

We made it to Salinas yesterday afternoon. After getting refreshed we went out for, none other than, seafood. Chuck had Grilled Marlin and I had Corvina Francesia. We shared a bottle of wine and both slept very sound last night.


The temperature here is very mild. We woke up this morning to a misty rain. I asked Chuck if maybe we had taken a wrong turn and ended up on the Oregon coast.

We are patiently waiting to see if we get any sun today. I will share more Salinas pictures tomorrow.

Love,
Nancy (and Chuck)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy and Chuck,

    I believe that the small animal you refer to is a Peccary. This one looks young to me.

    Mike Grimm
    www.grimmstraveltales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy & Chuck, this is what I believe your mystery animal is:

    Paca -- Agouti paca -- Known as guanta in Ecuador, this rodent inhabits the forest floor, feeding on fallen fruit, leaves, and tubers dug from the ground. The paca is the second largest rodent in the New World (after the capybara). Prime Viewing: Most often found near water throughout many forest habitats of Ecuador, from river valleys to swamps to dense tropical forest. But because pacas are nocturnal, you're much more likely to see their smaller cousin, the diurnal black agouti or Dasyprocta fuliginosa.

    Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/ecuador/0811028620.html#ixzz0wnKW1J41

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh... Nancy... I think we took your sunshine. It was beautiful here today. I even ventured forth with shortsleeves... under my coat. But it was very nice today. I hope the rest of your trip brightens up for you. Drive safe Chuck, you have very precious cargo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy y Chuck
    Congratulations, I hope to visit the whales, post photos, God bless.
    Feliz Viaje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huagra Naupa,

    I will certainly take pictures of whales if I see them. I hope we see some!!

    Stay tuned.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome.