Join me on INSTAGRAM, my name is ecuadorchick.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Goodbye Facebook

Dear Family and Friends,

I have decided to leave Facebook. 

This is not an easy decision to make. 

The decision is hard because I can see all the pictures my kids post of themselves and the grand kids on a regular basis.  I know what is going on in their lives.  Now it will back to email....just not the same.

Another reason it is hard is that I have connected with high school friends that I have not seen or talked with in almost 50 years.  It is tough to give that up, especially since we all graduated in 1964 and next year will be the 50th anniversary.  I plan to attend next year, but without Facebook how will I find out? 

Keeping up with my old working buddies and other family and friends has been wonderful.  Especially since I am so far away.

The main way I stayed connected on Facebook was by linking our blog with networked blogs.  Each time I would post it would show up on my timeline.

If you read this blog because you find it on Facebook, and if you want to keep up with me, all you have to do is put your email address in the top right hand corner of this blog and you will receive an email notification each time I publish a post.

So why am I leaving?  I am leaving Facebook because of this:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/malware-that-drains-your-bank-account-thriving-on-facebook/?smid=fb-share

I checked it out on Snopes.com and found that it is true.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/ramnit.asp



It appears that people using Windows are most vulnerable.  Nothing bad has happened to me yet, but I think that it is just a matter of time.  Just don't want to risk having things stolen from us.  Cyber crime is getting more sophisticated and it is harder and harder for the Cyber police to keep up.  Gotta protect myself.

Chuck, because he uses another operating system, is staying on Facebook.  He, of course, will share pictures from the kids with me.

Love,
Nancy






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.